Q: My RPM fuage keeps randomly jumping up

asked by on March 19, 2017

My RPM keeps jumping up randomly to 5000+ while I'm driving at speeds no more than 40mph. When the RPM jumps up, it is accompanied by a loud noise - it sounds like the noise your car would make if you stepped on the gas, while the car is in park, it's really loud, and the car feels like it's pulling back & then it'll jerk, while this happens. I'm thinking it's something dealing with my transmission, but I'm not sure exactly what it is. I don't think it needs fluid, as I just had Nissan transmission fluid put in it last month.

Transmission Fluid Service $125.08 - $440.73 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. Automatic transmissions work primarily off of solenoids that control hydraulic fluid pressures in the transmission, which then control what gear you are in. You should start by checking the level of the transmission fluid, especially because work was just done. If the work was not done correctly, you may have formed a leak or similar issue. If the vehicle feels like it is downshifting when it should not be, then you want to focus on your downshift solenoids at first. This is where automatic transmissions become complicated, and you may want to consider reaching out to a transmission specialist. Contact our service department about scheduling and pricing from our technicians.