Q: Grinding sound coming from car

asked by on February 19, 2016

I can hear a grinding noise while I am driving. It seems like it is coming from the front and middle of the car. It is worse when I turn the wheel.

Hello! A grinding noise on your particular vehicle usually indicates an issue with one of the wheel bearings. Unfortunately, the wheel bearings on the 1999-2008 GM vehicles consistently wear internally and cause noise. Usually in about 30,000 mile intervals, those wheel bearings will become defective. Please use caution because a noisy wheel bearing may lock-up suddenly while driving, which can be a very dangerous situation. You may benefit from a mobile automotive repair service such as YourMechanic, who can send a mechanic to the location of your car to investigate the grinding noise.