Q: Car shakes in par and when put in reverse

My car has been shaking lately and in very particular situations. It happens when I put it in reverse. Also, it would shudder when in park. What is wrong with it?

A: Hi. The concern you are describing for your...

Hi. The concern you are describing for your 1999 BMW 318i sounds like that of a worn engine or transmission mount. The transmission and engine mounts have rubber bushings inside of them which dampen the engine vibrations. The mounts are subject to lots of heat and stress which will cause the mount rubber bushings to become brittle and fall apart over time. Have a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose your car’s shaking issue and determine the correct repairs that should be done.