Q: Power steering fluid groaning noise. Power steering leak?

asked by on February 22, 2017

I had a power steering fluid service done at Midas in September of 2016. I brought it in to Midas because my car started making a groaning noise. I was told there is a small leak, but not major. I asked them to add fluid to it and they said they don't do that. Is that normal? Why doesn't Midas add the power steering fluid when they supposedly serviced it 5 months ago? This is the first time I've heard that groaning sound in my car. Is the power steering mechanism supposed to need service frequently?

Power steering fluid is leaking Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. A groaning noise is an indication of low power steering fluid. If you had your power steering fluid serviced about 5 months ago and it is making a groaning noise again most likely means your power steering pump has gone bad or your power steering leak has going from minor to moderate. I can tell you that Honda Accords are one of the most common vehicles for a power steering pump leak to occur on and require a pump replacement. If not a leaking pump it could be power steering hose leaking fluid. I suggest that you have a power steering fluid leak inspection done otherwise you will have to keep filling up your power steering reservoir until it is fixed.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/power-steering-fluid-is-leaking-inspection