Q: Power Steering leak from passenger side.

I have been having a leak coming from my passenger side for a few days now. I have tried the power steering stop leak from Lucas and it is only kind of helping. Instead of dumping all the fluid I'm only losing about 1/2. I noticed my level dropping every time I drive and I keep having to put more fluid into it and it's getting expensive. Everything I've read says that I should be losing the power steering fluid from the driver's side but it only appears on the passenger side. I know it's power steering because my steering wheel gets tight and I'm losing fluid from the reservoir. Is there a way to diagnose it for sure so I can try to fix it? A lot of the sites are saying it's ATF but I only lose power steering fluid. Please help as I am in a bad way here. Thanks.

The power steering pump and high pressure hose is on the left side, and the steering gear has boots on both sides that could leak. The most common failure is the high pressure hose is leaking. The system would need to be looked at the isolate the leak. Now that you have put leak sealer in the pump and have ran the pump out of fluid, I would guess that there are more than a couple internal faults in the pump.

I would recommend not driving the vehicle until you have this issue resolved to prevent any further damage. A mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can come to your location to diagnose the leak. If you’d like, they can also make any repairs that are needed for you as well.