Q: Car shut off and back on, ESP light on

While I was sitting in my car, that wasn't moving at that moment, but the engine was running, it seemed as if it was going to stall. The dashboard showed the ESP light flashing. Then the car shut off but it turned on again. What could be causing this?

A: Not sure if the ESP system is related to st...

Not sure if the ESP system is related to stalling issue but the stability control system is reliant on several sensors for proper operation. It could be the brake light switch, which is a common failure along with the wheel speed sensors.

The stability control system can make requests of the engine computer to affect things like engine timing and even fuel injection timing based on driving conditions. However at a dead stop, I do not see a correlation between the two systems.

Diagnosis should be started first by reading out faults from the engine computer and correcting any possible underlying issues.

Electrical system voltage should also be checked and monitored. Low system voltage or low spikes can cause both engine issues and other electrical malfunction to occur, which may explain the ESP light coming on while the engine is sputtering.

If you would like to have this checked by a professional, a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will have the tools and experience necessary to diagnose and correct your car’s stalling issue.