Q: Ram 2012 5.7 HEMI, PCM replacement

asked by on September 27, 2017

I'm not entirely sure how the PCM works. A week ago my truck would hesitate on a cold start, then two days ago engine would not turn over. I've looked into the fuel pump, fuses, relays and replaced the battery. My mechanic replaced the camshaft and crankshaft sensors. he ran a diagnosis to see why the engine light was on and red flags everywhere. Came to a conclusion that it's a bad PCM. Maybe we're missing something, if not can a 2012 Ram 5.7 HEMI PCM be replaced with an aftermarket ready PCM or does it need to be taken into a dealership garage to be reflashed?

Hi Alfred. Thanks for contacting us today. In mechanical repairs, there is a huge difference between the effectiveness of whether something can be done - vs. whether it should be done. Generally speaking, an aftermarket PCM CAN be installed - but it SHOULD be done by a dealership with an OEM replacement. The reason why is compatibility problems and relearning issues that aftermarket PCM’s often have. Plus, most mechanics don’t have the correct software needed to program aftermarket or OEM aftermarket PCM’s, which is why the dealership typically completes these repairs. Although it’s going to be rather pricey, I would recommend having a Dodge dealership complete this repair for you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr