Q: Brakes wear out very very fast

asked by on November 02, 2015

It seems like my 2007 Honda Odyssey goes through brake rotors faster than any van I have ever owned. There are 85,000 miles on this van and I have noticed a pattern with the rotors failing: 10,000 miles of smooth sailing, 5,000 miles of “I wonder what that noise is?”, and then 5,000-10,000 of "The brakes will start to shake the car any day". What can I do to improve the life of the rotors?

There is not much you can do to improve the life of your car’s rotors. Other Honda models have had a problem with premature warping of the brake rotors, but Honda told the customers that it is not a warranty issue. They advised machining the rotors may help in reducing the vibration when braking at higher speeds. The same design rotors are being installed as replacements. If your rotors are still within manufacturer’s safety specifications to be machined, then that is the first option (usually the least expensive, but temporary fix). If your rotors are out of manufacturer’s safety specification, a professional at YourMechanic can help you replace your rotors with a high performance set that are available for this model (the ones with the holes in them). The holes reduce the amount of heat that is generated when braking, thus preventing warpage. Some companies that sell the rotors offer a warranty from warping. It is also recommended to replace the brake pads with ones that can handle the higher heat that this brake system generates.