Q: Transmission gets stuck, reverse issues, delay in shifting

asked by on June 02, 2016

Hi. I've been having some transmission issues lately. The car has gone around 200,000 miles. The problem happened when I stopped the vehicle at the traffic light. While I was accelerating, the transmission wouldn't shift out of first gear for several seconds. After that, it was revving high, which was followed by rough shifting. Sometimes it also has issues with reverse. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, I have to go into neutral so that it would then go to reverse. It takes several seconds for the car to go into reverse when it finally starts working. The car has 35'' tires, which can put pressure on the transmission. What do you think is the underlying cause for these issues? Thanks.

Hello. From your description it sounds like the transmission is beginning to fail. The second clutch pack fails or the sun shell cracks keeping the gear from engaging. I typically remove the transmission pan and inspect the fluid. If there are pieces of metal or debris in the pan then the transmission needs to be rebuilt. If the fluid is fine then it may have an issue with the valve body, but this is rare. If you need to have the transmission inspected, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose this.