Truck cranks, fuel pump turns on but wont stay on for mor...

Q: Truck cranks, fuel pump turns on but wont stay on for more than a couple seconds. Poured starter fluid in carburetor and it turns on for a few

asked by on October 21, 2016

Fuel pump starts. When i crank it wants to start but dont. I sprayed started fluid in carborator and turns on for a few seconds and stops. It turns over but wont start. Need help

Hey there. This may be some kind of fuel supply issue. When you turn the key on, the fuel pump should come on for a brief second pressurizing the system. When you turn the key, it should then maintain this pressure to keep the engine running. If not enough fuel pressure is maintained, you may experience stalling as you have described. I would suggest checking the fuel pressure to be sure it is consistent. If it is not, you may be having issues supplying fuel to the fuel pump. You may want to consider having a professional, such as one from YourMechanic come to your location and diagnose the starting problem in person.