Q: Knocking sound when the car is moving, but not accelerating or braking.

asked by on November 30, 2016

When I am driving, this just started happening recently, and I can't think of a situation that could've caused it. But I recently changed my tires to winter tires and about a week after doing so, I noticed that whenever I am driving without using the gas or braking, just coasting, there is a knocking sound coming from one of the front wheels or the axle. I can feel the knocking in the steering wheel and near my feet as well as hear it. I wanna make sure that this is something minor and an easy fix or whether I should be concerned of using the car while driving

Rotate Tires Get a Quote

Hi there. Check the lug nuts on the front wheels and make sure that they are tight. The wheel could be loose and moving around. If the lug nuts are tight, then check around the wheel and see if there is anything that could be making the wheel come in contact with it. If the sound was not present before changing the tires over to the snow tires, then make sure that the wheel is mounted correctly. If you need further assistance with a sound on the front end after putting on snow tires, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.