Q: Temperature gauge goes up and down and I have to replace antifreeze daily

asked by on March 07, 2017

Temperature gauge goes up and down and I have to replace coolant daily. Sometimes I have trouble getting the car to go. About a week ago there was white smoke coming from exhaust changed out oil seemed to help

Hello, thank you for writing in. The smoke from the exhaust and the loss of coolant most likely means that your head gasket has failed, and is leaking coolant into the engine. The coolant gets burned up with the air/fuel mixture and is expelled with the exhaust gasses. While the oil is also retained by the head gasket, when you have a leak this bad, it mixes with the engine oil and contaminates it. This will cause the oil to become less viscous and not protect the engine like the oil is designed to. Replacing the head gasket can be a lengthy process due to the difficulty in accessing it. For more help with this repair, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.