Q: What can cause the RPMs to go super high while driving at one constant speed?

asked by on February 18, 2017

Today I was driving on the Interstate going 65mph and suddenly I felt a jerk in the truck and that's when my RPMs went all the way to 5.5 and so I let go of the gas and it went back down but as soon as slightly press on the gas the RPMs went back up . I started losing speed so I pulled over and stopped the car and saw NO lights on or anything unusual on the dash board. As I put it in drive and pressed the gas all the way the car would burly go then get some strength and go fine with the RPMs still pretty high. so I pulled over once again and turned off the truck for 10 minutes and then I turned it back on it was perfectly fine like nothing has happened. this is the first time this happens to me. what could that be? should I get the truck checked out? What do you think?

Hi There, It sounds like you are describing the symptoms of a failing throttle position sensor. The throttle position sensor monitors the throttle position of the throttle plate inside the throttle body in relation to your foot position on the gas pedal. Based upon the inputs from the sensor reading your foot’s position on the pedal, the ECU then makes the direction to supply more or less fuel to the motor. When this sensor is not working properly, this can cause intermittent responses when pressing the gas pedal. I would suggest having a professional from Your Mechanic come to you home to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.