Q: My car is overheating quickly - 2000 Lincoln LS

asked by on October 27, 2016

When sitting idle for about 5 minutes the temperature will climb, runs fine on freeway but when exiting after a freeway drive it will begin to climb in stop and go traffic...when running the a/c it will begin to climb...I have replaced the water pump and thermostat and have flushed the radiator and released any air pockets by the bleed valve according to spec ...Ido what else to do other than replace the radiator and or any other cooling parts of the vehicle

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. Check to see if the electric fan is coming on when at idle. If the fan is not coming on, check the fuse box for any blown fuses.

If all of the fuses are in good shape, turn on the a/c to max and see if the fan comes on. If the fan comes on, then the coolant temperature sensor has failed and needs replaced.

If the fan does not come on, then check the wiring harness for any damage. If the wiring harness is good, then disconnect the harness from the fan and check the fan motor for resistance. If the fan motor has high resistance, then the fan motor needs replaced.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, seek out a technician, such as one from Your Mechanic, that can diagnose your overheating issue and assist you with your vehicle at your home or office.