Q: Car not accelerating

My car will not respond when I push the gas pedal. The RPMs are staying at zero when I press the gas pedal down.

A: Hello, in your particular vehicle the RPMs ...

Hello, in your particular vehicle the RPMs and gas pedal are controlled electronically. The accelerator pedal position switch sends a signal to the ECU which sends a signal to the throttle position sensor. The throttle position sensor controls the opening and closing of the throttle simultaneously with the gas pedal being depressed. If the RPM’s stay at zero when you press the gas, I suspect the accelerator pedal position sensor or the throttle position sensor need replacing. Both sensors should be tested to accurately diagnose the problem. An experienced technician, like the ones provided by YourMechanic, would be able to inspect the responsiveness of the gas pedal.