Q: What does the park brake engaged warning mean in the message center?

asked by on December 15, 2015

What does the park brake engaged warning mean in the message center?

Your car’s message center can provide you with a lot of important information about the various systems on your car, their condition, and more. If you see a warning message that says “Park brake engaged,” it most likely means that you need to release the parking brake before driving.

If the light stays on after you release the parking brake, there is a problem in the system. This could be an electrical problem with the parking brake switch circuit, or it could be a problem with the brake hydraulic system, such as low brake fluid level or a leak. In either case, it’s important to have the vehicle inspected by a professional as soon as possible. In many cases, it is not safe to drive with the parking brake light on.

Tips:

This warning will only be shown if the parking brake is on, the engine’s running and you’re driving more than 3 MPH. If the warning doesn’t clear after releasing the parking brake, have your car inspected.