Q: Clicking noise from steering wheel

I get a clicking noise that sounds like plastic on plastic when I turn my wheel from straight to about 11 o'clock. It is intermittent. There are also two other distinct sounds: one that sounds like a low clunk inside the cabin by the firewall where the coupling shaft is. And then another louder clunk when I make really wide turns or turns over bumps (it may be the lower shaft?). The interior steering wheel click is really annoying. I took off the housing behind the wheel and tried to see if anything was loose but everything looks good. What else could it be?

Hello, thanks for writing in. Most of the time this clicking noise is from the column covers rubbing on the steering wheel. I usually remove the covers and drive the vehicle to see if it goes away. If it does then the cover is the issue and needs to be replaced or trimmed down to prevent it from happening further. If the problem persists then most of the time the problem is the result of a bad cancellation cam in the column. As for the knocking noise this is almost always cause by the intermediate steering shaft. This is a common failure and will cause this noise. I usually remove the shaft and check it for looseness. If it is fine then the noise may be coming from the steering gear but that is not as common. I recommend having one of our certified automotive technicians from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect, diagnose, and repair the issue.

3. Clicking noise from steering wheel