Q: Fuel pump running with car off

When I turn my car off (and pull the key out of the ignition) I can hear, what sound to me like the fuel pump kicking on for a few seconds then kicking off for :45 seconds to a minute then kicking back on again. This has been happening for a few days now. Local chevy place says it is normal but I am not buying it. This goes on the entire time the car is powered off. No other problems are present. No warning lights.

A: A fuel pump that stays on when the igniti...

Hello.

A fuel pump that stays on when the ignition is turned off can be caused by a few things. If you do not believe that the behavior is normal, then it may be possible that the the ignition switch or fuel pump relay have shorted and are feeding power to the pump. It may also be possible that a wiring short has occurred, causing the same issue. If the vehicle is new I would recommend taking it to a dealership to have them help you with the issue. Otherwise, a professional technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the issue and replace the fuel pump relay or ignition switch if necessary.

Regards,

Eduardo YourMechanic