Q: Engines I can easily put in a 1966 mustang

asked by on March 23, 2017

What are some other engines I can cheaply buy and easily put in a 1966 mustang?

Hi Griffin. Your 66 Mustang was built to handle a small block V-8 Ford. The size of the small block Ford’s 289, 302 and 351 are identical. They gain cubic inches by having larger bore and stroke in the combustion chamber. All three should fit the transmission you have, but you should purchase a new flywheel for the size of engine you select. So, if you’re looking to buy a "cheap" engine that will run, look at purchasing one of the three engines above. I would recommend buying a "carb to pan" or complete engine, as you don’t want to pull parts from the older engine to hope they will fit.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr