Q: Unnecessary feature now ruined the AC

asked by on November 02, 2015

The actuator that controls the AC vents in my 2009 Chevrolet Traverse malfunctioned and now the vents are not working correctly. All of this at only 32,000 miles. This is a weird part to be dealing with, doesn’t seem necessary. I am fine with new features, but unnecessary things that then break are not my idea of a good time. Can I just remove the part entirely?

There are 3 actuators in the 2009 Chevy Traverse model that are located under the dashboard and they all work an essential part of transforming air from hot to cold. They also direct the air to either the vent, floor or the windshield (defrost mode) so it is not an optional component you can go without if you want your A/C and Heater system to function correctly. It is a motor that opens and closes doors in the HVAC unit under the dashboard in order to make you comfortable inside. The location of the failing actuator will determine the amount of work(labor cost) involved to replace it. I would recommend having YourMechanic diagnose your vehicle to give you a quote for the price of replacement. GM did release a TSB(Technical Service Bulletin) #PIE-0161 repair detail, but only covers this repair under the 3 years or 36,000 miles original manufacturer’s warranty period.