Q: how do I install a load resistor so that my alternator doesn't drain my battery

My car for some reason won't keep charge. So I got a brand new alternator and battery but the battery still ends up getting drained of power and my car just shuts down. To solve this I was told I can install a load resistor. I don't know how. Part of it is installed but I don't know wht to do with the other end that has nothing connected.

A: I'm not sure what you were told but a l...

I'm not sure what you were told but a load resistor will only drain your battery and charging system more. It sounds like you have a problem in the charging system not providing enough power for the electrical load you have put on it. From what you've described, you may have a massive power drain like a big amp or a radio and amp setup that is using up more power than the engine alternator can handle.

I'm not completely sure but I think what someone was telling you to get a capacitor bank to power the amp you have. This will help store extra power for the times the amp bass needs more power. This component will not allow the amp to take power directly from the battery. You should look at getting a higher capacity battery and alternator for your car if this is the case to go along with a capacitor bank.

I'd suggest getting this looked at by a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, who will be able to diagnose your draining battery and help you fix it accordingly. Good luck.