Q: My steering wheel is 3/4 off center after mounting new tires.

My old tires were worn perfectly across at 4/32nd tread. After having a set of General Altimax RT43 tires mounted, my steering wheel is 3/4 inch off center. My car doesn't pull. I can take my hands off the wheel, and it continues to go straight. I can brake hard with my hands off the wheel, and it stops straight. How could new tires cause this problem? 215 70 R15 tires.

Hello, It is possible that one of the front tires that was installed has a manufacturer defect that is causing this issue. I would recommend having all tires checked for irregular patterns in the tread or large bubbles. If there is a lump in your tire caused by a manufacturer defect, this can cause the steering wheel to be off. If you do not have any problems with the new tires that were installed, I would recommend having your vehicle aligned. Getting a four wheel alignment has become a standard service across the industry when new tires are installed. This will help to promote long tire life and a properly handling vehicle.

3. My steering wheel is 3/4 off center after mounting new tires.