Q: My 2003 Honda Accord European has developed a gearbox transmission issue.

Automatic transmission slips out and is replaced by a single gear operating, usually 3rd or 4th. VSA light comes on and stays lit. When this happens manual transmission does not indicate a gear at all and moving the gear lever up or down achieves no result. The result is I am able to keep driving but only in the gear selected. Fault is rectified by turning off the engine and restarting the ignition. Fault seems to occur after a couple of hours of driving, especially in stop/ start mode or encountering a change to lower gears and stop/start driving after cruising at a faster speed (ie, motorway). Any thoughts on the potential problem and recommendations would be appreciated. Many thanks Murray

Hi there. When the transmission is not shifting then this is a condition called limp mode. The computer put the transmission in limp mode for a fault that the computer picked up. Check the wiring harness to the transmission and make sure that its hook up and not loose. If everything on the transmission is tight, then I recommend replacing the transmission speed sensor. The sensor could be failing during highway speeds and causing a loss of speed to the computer. If you need further assistance with your transmission being in limp mode, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

• My 2003 Honda Accord European has developed a gearbox transmission issue.