Q: My heater and airconditioner quit blowing out air.

asked by on December 29, 2016

started car to heat it up and when turned on nothing no air coming through so I switched it to air conditioner and still nothing. My husband said he believes he heard a noise in the dash when we got home and he turned it off but didnt think about it till next day and it wouldnt work could it be a fuse I hope

Although the blower motor might not be running because a fuse blew, the problem is fuses usually blow due to an electrical malfunction in the circuit such as a short. Fuses are simply "protection devices" and when they blow it usually means there’s an underlying problem somewhere. You can check the fuse and if blown try to replace it, but it might blow again in which case the short circuit, or cause of the overcurrent will have to be found. If the fuse is good, but the blower doesn’t work when switched on, you’ll want to check the resistor block and also check to see if the blower motor is even getting power. If there is no power to the motor, then the circuit has to be traced to see where the "open" is. If there is power to the blower, or the blower motor itself is the cause of a blown fuse, then the recommended service is blower motor replacement which can be scheduled at your convenience right at your location.