Q: Automatic transmition hit

asked by on February 24, 2017

I bought this car knowing that the automatic transmition had a problem before because the oil wasn´t changed at the correct moment. The oil was changed at 50000 km because the owner start feeling a little hit on the first gear so he took the car to the service and because of the cost he dind´t repaired the transmition at the dealer and took to someone else. Now I have the car that it is supouse to be working fine but I continiue having this hits on the transmition and I don´t know what to do and if it is going to get worse

Having a Jetta in the family, I think I know what you are referring to. When the transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd gear, it shifts very hard. It feels almost like someone bumped into the back of the car. It may also do the same thing as you’re slowing down to a stop when it downshifts from 2nd gear to 1st. It will get worse if not corrected. The most likely cause is the Conductor Plate inside the transmission. The conductor plate is responsible for controlling flow and pressure of the transmission fluid to each gear. Different fluid passages create different pressures, and change specific gears. Over time, the material inside the conductor place can degrade and come apart. Similar to our body, it can create sort of a "blocked artery" by coming apart and partially blocking passages within the conductor place, effecting fluid pressure and ultimately, shift quality. Have a certified technician at your local VW dealer or local transmission specialist have a look to verify that is the problem.