Q: ABS actuator to be replaced 2nd time in a year

My ABS actuator was replaced with a brand new one last year. However, the problem has already occurred again! The ABS actuator is producing a grinding sound whenever I press the brake pedal. The dealership told me that the ABS actuator is becoming weaker. When I told him how recently it had been replaced before, he looked shocked that it had malfunctioned so quickly (but then quickly hid his surprised look from me). I am waiting on replacing it because it will cost several thousands. Can you tell me if there is some ‘permanent’ fix for this problem?

A: Hello. There is no other permanent fix for ...

Hello. There is no other permanent fix for this other than replacing it with a factory unit. Once it is replaced the connections and the grounds need to be checked. Also all of the wheel speed sensor signals need to be checked as well as the brake fluid flushed. This is how the life of the unit could be prolonged. With that being said it still should not fail this soon if it is a factory unit and if it did then it should be covered under warranty. If you’d like a second opinion on this, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come diagnose your brake system and suggest a fix from there.