Q: Transmission won't go into reverse after clutch replacement

Our 1997 Toyota Tercel had gears slipping. We replaced the clutch, put it all back together and now it will not shift into reverse. It will shift into all other gears. What could be causing this?

Hello. If your vehicle is no longer going into gear after a clutch service, it may be possible that an issue occurred while the service was being done. Perhaps a problem with the clutch fork, or hydraulic clutch mechanism that is used to disengage the clutch so that the transmission can be shifted. It could be possible that the mechanism is not extending fully, which is preventing the clutch from going into gear properly. If the pedal seems to be affected then that may indicate an issue with the hydraulic system, perhaps a faulty master or slave cylinder. It may also be possible that the issue is related to the shifter, if it is not able to properly shift into gear. If you are unable to determine what the issue could be, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, visit your location to diagnose what may be causing the issue.

3. Transmission won't go into reverse after clutch replacement