Q: no signigicant power in take off

I have a bmw w/ automatic transmission. In take off, I feel the car is weak, even when I step on the pedal, it feels choked but it picks up speed at the end. It kind of feels the same way as taking off in 2nd or 3rd gear in a manual transmission. I want to know if my car starts off with 1st gear and then 2nd gear and so on...Is there a way to know what gear my car starts with in takeoff? I appreciate your time...

Hello, thank you for writing in. The automatic transmission starts in first gear always. Considering the age of the vehicle, there are a large number of components that can be contributing to your symptoms. Start with the simplest fixes. When you are experiencing a loss of power like this, you want to look at the transmission and the engine. Start with the transmission fluid, and checking all of the fluids in the vehicle. You may also take a moment to clean the throttle body and make sure that your engine is responding to the driver’s commands. If you are unable to make any difference, you may want to seek professional help. Our service department is available if you need them.

3. no signigicant power in take off