Q: The airbag light is on in my car !

I purchased a vehicle used about three weeks ago . I was told the vehicle has never been in an accident but the air bag light is on . I read things saying it could be a computer error and that only the dealership of the make of the car could fix the problem now I don't know if that's true but if that's the case it won't get fix the neatest deal ship is like 50 miles away. I just want to know if it is common for the light to be on and in most cases it be nothing . Because I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars for them to tell me it's a computer problem...

A: If your airbag light is on then there is a ...

If your airbag light is on then there is a problem in the system and the airbag is deactivated. This means it will not work in the event of an accident. Any GM dealer can diagnose the problem for you. Most independent mechanics with the correct computer scanner can scan the system but may lack the special tools necessary to diagnose the problem. If you're concerned about traveling that distance to a dealer, try YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come to you and diagnose your air bag light. This way you will know if the vehicle is okay to drive safely. Good luck.