Q: Why does my Car idle at 1500 and struggle to go faster than 25mph.

I have been having some issues with my car this past week. One day I got in and started it like I normally do and as I was driving how the neighborhood I felt as if the front of my car was shaking. I couldn't go past 25mph and the check engine light came on. This has happened before but it eventually stopped doing that and drove like normal. Now it's acting up again. When I start my car the engine takes a while to heat up and I idle at 1500 or more while in park. After waiting for about 10 minutes the engine temp is in the middle and I idle at 500-600rpm but my check engine light is still on. I haven't changed my oil in awhile, I'm over due for an oil change. I was supposed to change it at 126271 miles but I haven't and now I'm currently at 126983 miles. Could changing the oil fix my problem or is there a different issue?

When the check engine light (CEL) illuminates, and stays on, you should have the engine problem diagnosed in a check engine light diagnostic. An illuminated CEL means that the computer controlling the engine has detected a fault or faults. If the faults go unaddressed, it is possible for other vehicle components to be be damaged or wear out early. The specific cause of the high idle and lack of acceleration will be revealed in the Diagnostic Trouble Codes that are downloaded during the CEL diagnostic. As far as the engine being slow to warm, that could be due to a stuck open cooling system thermostat although, of course, there is always the possibility of a malfunction in the temperature sending unit and/or dash gauge. Your interests will be best served if you request a check engine light diagnostic after which the Mechanic will be in a position to inform you of the exact required repairs and their cost.

3. Why does my Car idle at 1500 and struggle to go faster than 25mph.