Q: throttle position sensor can it affect coolant temperature?

driving yesterday and the check engine light and this (⚡) popped up. i took it to a local mechanic who said i needed to change different fluids (and he did) as well as change the throttle positioning sensor. we had to order the sensor bc it wasnt available but he told me im fine to drive in town....driving today maybe a mie down the road and the coolant temperature read being hot then instantly cold...will the throttle positioning sensor affect this or is there more to the problem?

The throttle position sensor will not have anything to do with the coolant temperature. The problem with the coolant temperature gauge you had may be due to the coolant change that was done or the system itself has a problem. You stated that the fluids got changed but did not mention if the coolant was changed specifically.

In this situation, either your thermostat got stuck momentarily or there was an air pocket. Once it cleared, the thermostat opened normally and the flow returned back in the cooling system. I would have the system checked to make sure the coolant is full and that everything functions correctly.

If you decide to get this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can diagnose your cooling system and make the necessary repairs. Good luck.