Q: Car took longer to start than usual

I have a newer car but the other day it took longer to start. I have a push button start, the weather was the typical mild San Francisco, and I had not left any lights on. I'm worried as to why a new car would take longer to start. The hesitation was only a few seconds and the engine sounded normal. I always stay on top of my oil changes and maintenance services. Should I be concerned?

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. Although ...

Hi there, thanks for writing in.

Although your car is nearly brand new, it certainly isn’t impossible for it to have a failed battery. If it cranked over slowly as it was starting, it could be an indication that the battery is weak. There are a few other possible things that could be a potential cause. The best thing for you to do at this point would be to bring the car to the dealer, as this should be covered under the warranty. If you want a second opinion, you can have your car’s starting issue diagnosed by another qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.