Q: It will not turn over and it's not the battery.

asked by on November 19, 2016

Sometimes it starts if I jiggle the wires but the connections are good at the battery. It sometimes shuts off going down the road and sometimes shuts off and starts up in rapid succession. The radio and lights always work but not even a click when trying to turn it over.

It sounds like you have two electrical issues, one dealing with the starting circuit(https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-is-not-starting-inspection) and the other involving stalling once the car is running. The no-start issue, if it is not intermittent, or is at least present when the Mechanic is there, is fairly straightforward. Either there is power to the starter motor or there isn’t. If there is power, but the starter motor won’t run, obviously there is something wrong with the starter and it should be rebuilt or replaced. If there is no power to the starter or there is any voltage drop in the circuit, the starter circuit has to be traced to find the fault. If the car cuts out when running, that is likely due to a loose connection in, for example, a fuse or terminal that supplies the fuel and/or ignition system circuit(s). Due to the extent of the wiring, and the number of connections and circuits, that requires a really methodical examination. You can start with obvious main fuses, relays, and terminals. It goes without saying that intermittent faults are more difficult to find than "complete" failures but the problem is usually traceable as something will eventually be found to be obviously loose, corroded, or improperly connected. If you desire that a certified auto electric specialist from YourMechanic conduct the electrical diagnostic, please free free to schedule a mobile diagnostic.