Q: The motor is sucking a lot of air from the plastic valve cover

The motor is sucking a lot of air from the plastic valve cover. With stopped car and engine running pull out the oil dipstick and the engine sucked a lot of air through the hole making gurgling sounds. At this time the engine shaken and it seemed it was going to stop. While driving and stop at any light the RPM reaches 2K and in some cases 3K. When the car is started at mornings, It throttles more than the regular RPM and then sets to normal. I would like to know what is the function of the gasket and the cover of the valves and if it is normal the engine sucks some air through them. There are no visible oil leaks. Searched info about and got a lot of cases with bad PCV valves and also the IAC valve.

Hi, thanks for writing in. It is not normal for that much air to be sucked in. Here is an article about the valve cover gasket.

Here at YourMechanic, we can have a technician come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest the necessary repairs, such as a PCV replacement.