Q: Steering tilt not working

asked by on July 27, 2016

The power steering column tilt feature wasn't working in my car. The telescopic portion works well. I heard the motor make a little noise when I moved the tilt switch up or down. The noise was like it was trying to move the column, but then it suddenly stopped. The column wouldn't move in the upward or downward position. Are there one or two motors for the steering column features? Do you know how to fix tilt feature?

Hello. There are two motors for the steering column features in your 2005 BMW 745Li. It is possible that the motor for the tilt feature is faulty or that a fuse or relay has blown to prevent the power steering column tilt feature from working properly. If this is the case, the best way to fix this problem is to replace the motor and have it reprogrammed to the car’s computer for it to work properly. It may be necessary to have the BMW dealer look at the problem because specific computerized equipment is necessary to make this repair. If you want to have an independent professional take a look at the car, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your steering system.