Q: The check power steering system lights comes on and the steering wheel becomes hard.

asked by on October 06, 2016

The light comes on every morning. But if I run it for a little while and turn it off and turn it back on, it goes away. Do you think the steering wheel sensor that is bad?

Hi, thanks for writing in. Although you don’t mention which model Acura you own, the TSX model for 2009 has a new (for Acura) electrically-assisted steering system. This system utilizes an electric motor for power steering assist, with sensors and software to vary the amount of assist. It has not been without its faults, and there are at least 2 technical service bulletins from Acura (298770 and 298771) relating to the behavior you are experiencing. Check with your Acura service department for proper resolution to this problem.