Q: Takes several tries to start car

asked by on February 03, 2016

I have to turn the key for a few seconds before the car starts. Most of the time, I have to try a couple times by taking the key out and trying again. When it's colder, it takes longer to start. Also, the Check Engine light is on.

The check engine light code may shine a little light on the concern. It almost sounds like you may have an issue with air metering or fuel delivery. A cold/malfunctioning idle air control valve can put air flow. A leaking fuel injector can cause too rich of an air/fuel mixture where the ignition system cannot properly ignite the cylinder. You can schedule a trained technician, like the ones we have here at YourMechanic, to inspect and repair your ignition problem.