Q: Fixing a fuel leak on an O8 Dodge Caravan

asked by on April 12, 2016

I have an O8 Dodge Caravan with a fuel leak. How hard is it to drop the gas tank and find the leak?

Fuel is leaking from gas tank Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

First thing you want to do is you want to drive it until the gas tank is almost empty because the gas tank weighs a lot less than it does full. When it’s full, it’s a royal job. But, when you are almost out of gas, all you’ve got to do is take those straps and all the fasteners and lines off and it will all just come right down. An empty gas tank weighs 35 pounds or less. They don’t weigh too much.

You can easily do it when most of the gas is gone. I hate it when they get sent to me and they are full of gas and they die. It used to mean that you can siphon the gas up but now, where you pour the gas there’s anti-theft valves and you can’t siphon the gas up anymore, so it can be a pain. If you want to have the leak located and repaired, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to perform this task for you.