Q: engine light comes on after oil change service

Thought it was coincidence first time it happened but for the engine light to come on a second time after oil change from two different gm dealers seems like no coincidence. First time said it sensor. Are these sensors mileage based. Will get quite expensive once warranty is over

Hi there:

On modern vehicles, there are two different types of "warning lights"; routine service lights and trouble code warning lights. In most cases, when you have a routine service light that illuminates, it’s set to do so at certain mileage intervals. It’s designed to alert the vehicle’s driver that routine maintenance is due. On the other hand, a trouble code light is illuminated when the ECU detects an error from a sensor or mechanical component. This alerts the driver that something is faulty, damaged and needs to be repaired. The best thing for you to do, is have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete a check engine light inspection. This will allow them to discover whether this engine light is a service light or an error light which requires a mechanical repair.

3. engine light comes on after oil change service