Q: Annoying loud noise when starting the car.

my 2008 kia sportage make a loud screeching noise when I start it .when it's in drive or reverse it goes away but in park and neutRalph it there.it isn't ignition ;what else could it be

The noise is the drive belt slipping on the pulleys on the engine.

Check the tensioner to see if it feels loose and not tight. If the tensioner is loose, then I recommend replacing it.

Also if the belt is glazed or has cracks on the ribbed area, then I recommend replacing the drive belt. If you need further assistance with your engine squealing when staring up, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.