Q: Whining during acceleration with high RPMs, in lower gears and overdrive

I have a high-mileage vehicle with around 200,000 miles on it. When I try to accelerate, the car starts making a whining sound and RPMs get higher than they should. The whining sound is noticeable in lower gears as well as in overdrive. But, when in drive, it runs normally. I took it to a mechanic and I was told that I should get the transmission rebuilt and that the issues are due to the planetary gearset. I don't know what to do as this is a car with so many miles on it. Do you have any suggestions? Also, would it damage the car if I didn't use the overdrive but only drive?

I agree with the mechanic that checked it. It needs to have the transmission overhauled. I cannot make the decision if you should get it done or not, since it is a very expensive repair and may exceed the value of the car. If you want to have this issue verified in person, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come to your car’s location and diagnose your vehicle’s transmission noise before you make any major commitments.

3. Whining during acceleration with high RPMs, in lower gears and overdrive