Q: Whining during acceleration with high RPMs, in lower gears and overdrive

I have a high-mileage vehicle with around 200,000 miles on it. When I try to accelerate, the car starts making a whining sound and RPMs get higher than they should. The whining sound is noticeable in lower gears as well as in overdrive. But, when in drive, it runs normally. I took it to a mechanic and I was told that I should get the transmission rebuilt and that the issues are due to the planetary gearset. I don't know what to do as this is a car with so many miles on it. Do you have any suggestions? Also, would it damage the car if I didn't use the overdrive but only drive?

A: I agree with the mechanic that checked it. ...

I agree with the mechanic that checked it. It needs to have the transmission overhauled. I cannot make the decision if you should get it done or not, since it is a very expensive repair and may exceed the value of the car. If you want to have this issue verified in person, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come to your car's location and diagnose your vehicle's transmission noise before you make any major commitments.