Q: Car died while driving so I replaced the alternator and battery and car won't attempt to turn over. What else could it be?

I was driving and went to pass another car. I was going approximately 60 mph. The lights on the dash flickered, the car revved up then died. It would act like it wanted to turn over but wouldn't start. A guy stopped, we jumped the car and it started but then died right after. I installed a new alternator and battery. Now the car won't even attempt to turn over. I am thinking now maybe the starter or solenoid but wouldn't think that would cause the car to die while driving it. Any other ideas?

The initial failure was likely caused by a sudden fuel system (e.g., failed fuel pump) or electrical (including ignition) faiure. Prior to performing diagnostics be sure you have a fully charged battery that passes a load test. Then, confirm that the engine immobilizer system (security system) is not activated thus preventing the car from starting. If the starter motor is not functioning, check for power to the starter motor when the key is held in the "start" position. If there a large voltage drop at the starter motor or no power at all, you may have a faulty ignition switch but you do have to check out the entire starter circuit, which includes grounds, wiring (some of which is very heavy cabling), fuses, relays, the ignition switch and terminations. On the other hand, if the starter motor is getting power but the starter doesn’t work, then the starter is condemned and replaced. If you desire that a certified mechanic resolve this, please simply request a no start diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get the problem diagnosed and repaired for you. Please let us know if you have further concerns or questions as we are always here to help you.

3. Car died while driving so I replaced the alternator and battery and car won't attempt to turn over. What else could it be?