Q: Check engine light P0017ECT - 1998 Volvo S90

My Check Engine light came on with the code P0017ECT - Electronic Controlled Transmission Sensor. Suddenly my battery went dead, but I got it recharged. My car still wouldn’t start after having the battery recharged, and I heard a clicking noise. When I turned the key my lights turned on, but it still didn’t start. What could be wrong? Could it be the starter, alternator or the ECT sensor? Do you have any ideas?

Hi there. There are a few different things that can cause this. Most of the time though, this is caused by an issue with the TCM or a power issue to the TCM. I usually start by testing the ignition switch and testing for power at the fuses for this circuit. If there is power to the module and this is occurring, then the module is bad. If there is no power, then it may just need a new ignition switch. Both of these are common issues. An internal transmission failure can also cause this to occur. If you need to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the Check Engine Light and guide you through repairs.

3. Check engine light P0017ECT - 1998 Volvo S90