Q: I just bought a new kia sportage, it did not have a power lift gate so I had the dealership install one but the liftgate will nott

asked by on September 01, 2017

I just bought a new kia sportage that did not have a power liftgate so i had them install one but the liftgate will not open or close using the smart key (fob). The salesman said it is not suppose to open or close using the fob, only from using the buttons on the liftgate itself, now i think they messed up installing it, whats the use of having a power liftgate that wont work from a distance using the fob, and they charged me $1200 to install it.

If the power liftgate is a Kia supplied, dealer installed option then it will function using the Key fob. All of the details of such operation are set forth in the vehicle’s Owner’s Manual. The Power Liftgate will open if the open button on the fob is pressed for more than 1 second so be sure you are holding the button down long enough. Your vehicle, including the added accessory, is under warranty. Consequently, the dealer will resolve this issue for you because higher level individuals at the dealer know that you are covered by Federal and State "lemon laws" and have other recourse as well if the vehicle is not functioning properly. It will be vastly less expensive for the dealer to fix this issue (which might simply relate to programming or wiring) than to have to provide you with a new replacement vehicle after they have made three or more failed attempts at fixing it. If we can assist you with ongoing maintenance or repairs on other vehicles, please re-contact us.