Q: Car is making a grinding/clanking sound

I recently purchased my car used with about 70,000 miles on it. I had the pre-inspection done and it looked okay so I bought the car. Yesterday I was driving around and the car made metallic grinding/clanking sounds and ground to a halt. I tried pressing the gas and the car would clank and grind while trying to move forward, so I stopped. It felt and sounded like my car had dropped anchor. I can't push the car forward in neutral, only in reverse, and after two yards, the car will make a loud clicking/clanking noise. The engine starts up and revs normally, however. What could this be from?

Hello. It sounds like you had a total transmission failure. When you have a severe internal breakage, like a sun shell or clutch pack, this will occur. The transmission will need to be disassembled and rebuilt in order to fix this. You will most likely need to take the vehicle to a transmission specialist that specializes in these transmissions. If you would like to have the car inspected first, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to determine what is causing the grinding sound.