Q: Gas pedal does not respond very quickly, cruise control acts up too

I need help with a problem I am experiencing with my 2006 Hyundai Sonata. The accelerator really hesitates now to deliver any power to the engine, especially when the cruise control is on. This car barely has more than 80,000 miles on it and I did not expect such an odd problem. It really only occurs at highway speed. What can I do about this?

What you are describing sounds to me like the transmission is not down shifting correctly instead of the engine causing the hesitation. I have found two recalls that may fix your problem. The first calls for the engine/transmission module to be reprogrammed to fix the downshifting from high gears to lower gears above 45 mph speeds. The second recall is for the throttle position replacement of the engine. Both of these recalls would have to be verified to pertain to your vehicle. YourMechanic can test your vehicle for the problems you have and verify any recalls or technical service bulletins that may apply or any additional issues you may be having like fuel filters or pressures causing loss of power. A thorough road test and diagnostic check by YourMechanic can help guide you in the right direction.