Q: Will a spare tire on the front of the car cause next to brake badly?

My car has a donut on the front passenger. Now when I brake I have to press really hard on the brake to slow down or stop. I'm afraid I'm going to rear end someone sometimes so I have to brake extremely early. Is this because of the donut tire? Will it fix itself after a normal tire is put on?

Hi, and thank you for your question. When you have an issue with a flat and need to replace it with a donut tire, you will experience some difficulty when driving the vehicle. When putting the donut tire on the front of a vehicle, the tire is not as wide as the stock tires making it harder to stop. Front wheel drive vehicles require 80 % of the stopping force done by the front tires. Until you purchase another tire or have your old tire fixed, I would recommend that you switch the donut tire from the front of the vehicle to the rear of the vehicle. This will help you with your braking and make your vehicle more stable. Once you put the other tire on, the stability of the vehicle will resume normal. If you change the donut tire to the rear and still have a problem with braking, then there may be a problem with your brake system. Check the fluid in the master cylinder reservoir and make sure that it is full. If you still are having problems with your brakes, you could contact a technician from YourMechanic to help you troubleshoot the symptoms.

3. Will a spare tire on the front of the car cause next to brake badly?