Q: Transmission warning

Having issues starting vehicle. Insert key and do not get any lights, car will not turn over.....nothing. After messing with it for 20-30 minutes it will eventually start. This has been happening sporadically over the past 3 months.
Now this issue is every time I attempt to start. Now, some of the dashboard lights flash and there is a clicking sound and this is happening WITHOUT the key. Finally got it to start a few minutes ago and now there is a warning light "TRANSMISSION MALFUNCTION - SERVICE NOW". Can I drive my vehicle ?? Need to drive 30 miles to get home.

A: Hello. It sounds like you either have a bad...

Hello. It sounds like you either have a bad connection at the battery or the issue is with the transmission position sensor. If the sensor fails then the computer will not allow the vehicle to start. The car is only allowed to start in park or neutral so if it is not working this will occur. I usually test the battery first and then if there is not a battery issue the transmission position sensor needs to be tested. If you want to have this starting issue looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose why it is having trouble starting.