Q: Gasoline smell

The engine in my car has been releasing strong smell. The gasoline odor is coming into the car through the vents but I cannot find the leak. What should I do?

A: Hello there. Evaporative system leaks are n...

Hello there. Evaporative system leaks are not unusual. Many different faults can cause a fuel vapor leak and they can be notoriously hard to locate without specialty tools. Fuel vapor leaks that you can smell are usually smaller than the eye can see and technicians will use a smoke machine which makes the leaks visible. Common leak points are the charcoal canister, fuel tank, vapor lines, and vent solenoids. I recommend having a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect the smell that you are experiencing in order to make the necessary repairs.