I have changed the thermostat and temperature sensor. Ble...

Q: I have changed the thermostat and temperature sensor. Bled hoses. Wasn't overheating before now it is. PLEASE help. :(

asked by on October 13, 2017

Bought vehicle from a dealership....used. Check engine light was on. Asked them to give me a read but their machine was broke. (Whatever) We had it read. O2 sensor thermostat/thermostat sensor and something about engine hot. Temperature guage never worked. Drove for 3 weeks...no problems. Decided to change the thermostat and temperature sensor. (Come to notice the sensor was unplugged) Plugged in old sensor and guage started working but now overheats. Took out thermostat. Still overheats. Used a temperature gun. Compared to a GMC truck. Temperatures we're never.more than 10° difference and nothing read over 200°. I'm at a total loss of what to do. Do not notice any fluid leaking. PLEASE help. Tyvm.

With the thermostat installed, if the coolant temperature, as measured at the sensor in the engine head/block, is in the range of 195 to 220 degrees Fahrenheit, the car is not overheating. Coolant temperature can be read off of an advanced scan tool. Perhaps you have a malfunctioning dash temperature gauge and/or a problem in the circuit to the gauge. To get this resolved, what I would recommend is that you request an engine overheating diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved, whether the cause is "actual" overheating versus a gauge/reporting issue. That same mechanic can also deal with the trouble code that implicated the oxygen sensor. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.